“The Reptile Park is such a favourite with the children……When the children are back at school, they do a project on a reptile that they saw at the park. It makes such a big difference that they have actually seen the reptile that they choose as well as so many others.” (Ana Ramahelte, Maputo International School)
General Information for Schools
School Excursions at Perry’s Bridge Reptile Park offer a truly unique experience for your class! Located conveniently close to Kruger National Park as well as other local attractions such as the elephant sanctuaries and Skyway trails treetop challenge,we will work closely with you to tailor a visit to your requirements so as to make the most of your time in Hazyview.
While we don’t offer guided tours, we DO encourage you to download the tour – this is a 30 page PDF guide to the park which makes you, the educator, the expert! Currently available in English only, we will shortly be making it available in Afrikaans and Zulu, and are soon launching our interactive app for iPad and Adroid which will contain all of this information in an easy to access format with BONUS links to videos, photos, extra reports and soundclips!
We are located right next to Running Brave Spur, who will happily co-ordinate with you to organise packed lunches, with face-painting, playground and video games optional extras.
Please note, it is important that you BOOK your school outing with us. This allows us to forward electronic resources to you which you can use prior to, during and after your visit in order to make the most of the learning opportunity a visit to us offers. Contact us for a quote for your school outing, and upon confirmation we will forward the link to great classroom tools and activities which you can use to build anticipation and enhance your class experience with us. Reptiles are a great way to introduce your students to a huge variety of curriculum based concepts, including ecosystems, camouflage, and predators, as well as exploring different cultural perspectives on these amazing animals.
Home Schooling Groups
We encourage enquiries from home school groups as well – with picnic facilities available it is a great social opportunity as well as offering unique educational perspectives. Please note, minimum numbers apply. The following website is a great resource for South African homeschoolers – www.south-african-homeschool-curriculum.com.
Please communicate these rules to your class before leaving school. They will be re-iterated upon arrival, but we ask that you assist us to maintain good manners, safety and respect for our animals by bringing these to the attention of both students and educators:
- No touching of ANY animal unless under the supervision of a staff member from Perry’s Bridge Reptile Park. No chasing, pulling of tails or otherwise disturbing of any free ranging animals.
- Do not tap on the glass of any enclosures. Please keep noise levels controlled.
- No climbing of walls, hanging over the edge of walls, or dangling arms or legs into enclosures. This can be dangerous.
- Please remain on the pathways
- Please do not drop litter, use the bins provided or take it with you when you leave
- Each student must provide to the school a signed permission slip from a parent/guardian. The onus is on the school to collect these, and a representative of the school will be asked to sign a collective indemnity.